Monday, August 16, 2010

First week in Denver

My first week here passed in a flurry of meeting people, settling in to home, becoming familiar with working environment and sorting out the technology. All made so much easier by friendly, interested welcome from everyone I’ve met at the Auraria Library and around the campus. Mary has made me feel very comfortable and I have plenty of space to work and relax. I also have an office at the Auraria Library.

Denver is a gracious city, bigger than I expected. I’m staying in East Denver, which has tree-lined streets, mostly attractive homes with dense lawns gardens and summer flowers. There's even a Jersey Street. It's hot and sunny, midsummer with nice long evenings – I enjoy walking around the neighbourhood in the evenings. Lots of locals are also out at this time, walking, running, pushing prams – generally friendly, saying hello as they pass.

My first week at work in Denver was busy with meeting key stakeholders at the 3 institutions who have co-sponsored my residency (University of Colorado Denver, Metropolitan College Denver and Community College Denver). On Wednesday there was a yummy Coffee and Chocolate reception for Christine and I at the Auraria Library (again, perfectly suited my tastes!) On Thursday Christine and I presented a full day workshop on Informed Learning for an invited group of teaching faculty and librarians from the 3 institutions. We were thrilled by the way participants enthusiastically engaged with informed learning concepts, innovatively applying them to the design of ‘a coffee curriculum’ and then considering them in the contexts of their own teaching.

On Friday Christine and I worked at home, both together and separately. In the evening we enjoyed a walk around the neighbourhood and cooked an Indian dinner.

On Saturday we ventured into the mountains, visiting Red Rocks (amphitheatre), Nederland and a couple of other small towns; splendid lunch at a Nepalese restaurant on the way. The mountain scenery was stunning, especially the geological formations at Red Rocks and canyon on the way down to Boulder. There were patches of snow on the distant mountains, but the weather was warm and sunny. We drove to just over 8000 feet. My ears were popping occasionally and I felt my breathing was lighter when we were walking. People were riding bikes up and down the mountain roads and also hang gliding.

On Sunday morning we had relaxing massages, followed by an excursion to Cherry Creek shopping district. Here we were entranced by (but resisted) Nordstrom couture and furry toys (but less resistant to a chipmunk and a hedgehog!) Then Christine left for home on Sunday afternoon. Great for her family, but we'll miss her here!

No comments:

Post a Comment